- On Women's Day the ladies can get free drinks at many bars and restaurants.
- Many expats leave China during Spring Festival, not only to escape to warmer climates, but also to avoid the craziness that ensues when millions of people travel home to spend time with their families. Planes are overbooked, airfare doubles, roundtrip tickets are not sold and trains are over capacity. Many expats also leave to get some sleep! During this time it's non-stop firecrackers all day and most of the night.
- If you happen to stay in Beijing during Spring Festival, it's as close to a ghost town as you will ever see it. You can have a whole subway car to yourself, the Ring roads are traffic jam free and it's the one time of year you don't have to claw your way into a bus.
- Moon Cakes (月饼, yuè bĭng) are exchanged during Mid- Autumn Festival and come in many varieties. Expect to receive a ton from colleagues and students.
- Zong Zi ( 粽子) , like Chinese rice tamales, are eaten during the Dragon Boat Festival. This is the only time of year they are really eaten and you will see many street vendors selling them.
|New Year's Day||Jan. 1||1 day|
Jan. 1- 3
Jan. 1- 3
Varies based on lunar calendar
3 days (the last day of the last lunar month and the first and second days of the first lunar month)
Feb. 3, 2011.
The holiday is from Feb. 2 to 8
Jan. 23, 2012.
The holiday is from Jan. 22 to 28
|Women's Day||Mar. 8||1/2 day for women||1/2 day Mar. 8||1/2 day Mar. 8|
|Qingming Festival||Apr. 4 or 5||1-2 days|
Apr. 5, 2011
Apr. 5, 2012
|May Day||May 1||1 day|
Apr. 30 - May 2, 2011
|May 1 - 3, 2012|
|Youth Day||May 4||1/2 for youths above 14 years old||1/2 day May 4||1/2 of May 4|
|Children's Day||Jun. 1||1 day for children under 13 years old||Jun. 1||Jun. 1|
|Dragon Boat Festival||the 5th day of the 5th lunar month||1 day||Jun. 6||Jun. 23|
|Anniversary of the Founding of the CCP||Jul. 1||no days off||no holiday||no holiday|
|PLA Day||Aug. 1||1/2 day for active army||1/2 day of Aug. 1||1/2 day Aug. 1|
|Mid-Autumn Day||Aug. 15 according to the lunar calendar||1 day||Sep. 12||Sep. 30|
|National Day (Golden Week)||Oct. 1||3 days (Oct. 1- 3)||Oct. 1 - 7||Oct. 1 - 7|